As a member of PMI, you are one of over 2.9 million professionals working in nearly every country in the world through global advocacy collaboration, and research. Perhaps you are one of the over 1 million of these members who are certified and required to earn PDUs to maintain that certification. Whatever your status professional development should be a part of everyone’s career because its goal is to keep your up-to-date on current trends in an ever-changing business landscape. Your career is a journey, and you’ll need to stay relevant as the profession evolves and as the needs of employers grow and change requiring you to develop new skills to advance your personal and career goals.
Professional development is important because it ensures your competence in your profession throughout your professional career. These programs can also give you the chance to expand your professional skills while giving you exposure to other aspects of your industry and your role in it. Other examples of professional development include college studies, training classes, industry certifications, coaching, mentoring, and consultation.
Continuing professional development offers you many benefits such as:
- Allowing you to fill gaps in your knowledge and skills to become more productive and efficient
- Building confidence and credibility to stand out from the crowd
- Proving you willingness to invest in your career objectives
- Helping to accelerate the achievement of your career goals
- Demonstrating professional status
- Opening doors to new opportunities for promotions to more lucrative positions
Your employer also benefits in a number of ways including:
- Helping employees obtain the necessary certification and learning for their industry
- Beating the widening skills gap in today’s volatile business environment
- Building a foundation of expertise to drive business results in performance, profit, and staff morale
- Demonstrating business competency within their industry
- Strengthening business expertise in adhering to legal challenges
- Proving the employee’s value by investing in their career enhancement
- Promoting a higher retention rate thus saving the business an average of 16% of each lost employee’s annual income
There are lots of ways to earn PDUs and nearly unlimited opportunities for professional development as outlined in the PMI Talent Triangle®.